Youth service recognizes that positive results occur when youth and young adults are involved in leadership development, community and international service projects and exchange programs that enrich and foster world peace and cultural understanding.
Free Enterprise Academy
The Free Enterprise Academy has been an ongoing project of the Newark Rotary Club for the past 40+ years. Previously known as Camp Enterprise, it was started by the club in June of 1975. It originally functioned as a sleepaway camp for young men only but has since turned into a day program for both young men and women.
The Free Enterprise Academy is a program designed for students who have finished their junior year of high school (entering their senior year). The program offers these students exposure to the Free Enterprise system as well as an opportunity at receiving competitive scholarships that are awarded to further a student’s education.
Rotary has always supported the Free Enterprise system and has worked to have it better understood by the public. Through the programming the students will gain a better understanding of the system and thus should be better employees with good comprehension of their business objectives. They will learn the benefits of the Free Enterprise system as well as the pitfalls that can overcome an organization.
With strong support from guidance counselors, students from all the Licking County high schools are recruited. Approximately forty students are invited to attend each year. An intense three-day program is conducted with a great deal of interaction between successful business, education, and government officials and the students in “real-life” business situations. Experience is built around a business simulation project.
During one of the days of the program, a regular Rotary meeting is conducted at the site allowing all club members the chance to meet and interact with the students.
Our 2018 program had 37 students in attendance.
Youth Exchange Program
With Rotary Youth Exchange, students participate in an international exchange program through Rotary International. These students become global citizens through appreciation of and exposure to new cultures. This program also helps to serve Rotary’s mission of peace-building throughout the world.
Newark Rotary Club has hosted and sponsored several students over the last few years.
- 2007-2008 Jakub Tomko from Bratislava, Slovakia spent a year attending school in Newark hosted by the Yost family.
- 2008-2009 Eduardo Zanella from Brazil hosted by the Yost family.
- 2011-2012 Marit Solhaug Naess from Enebakk, Norway hosted by the Wade family.
- 2012-2013 Pamela Sanchez from Santiago, Chile hosted by the Adams family, Mill family, and the Jurden family.
- Summer 2013 Eleanor Wade of Newark, OH and Anna Berta Dolari-Bondanini of Modena, Italy participated in a Short-term Family to Family Exchange.
- Summer 2014 Ian Billig of Newark, OH and Luiz Fernando Ferraresso, Jr. of Monte Alegre do Sul, Sao Paulo, Brazil did a Peer to Peer Exchange.
- 2014-2015 Eleanor Wade of Newark, OH was sponsored on her year-long visit to Podebrady, Czech Republic.
2014-2015 Antoine Groutars of Brussels, Belgium was hosted by the Horvath family and the Wade family.
- Summer 2016 Carol Chen of Newark, OH and Marie Opressant of Cannes, France did a Short-Term Exchange.
- 2018-2019 Maulin Mehta from Surat,India is hosted by the Roach family and the Centofanti family.